Orion

[Orion] Couple of questions

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] Couple of questions
From: "Tom Whiteside" <tomw@ecpi.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:39:39 -0600
I'll post more later on our experience using the Orion on the ARRL 160M
contest later - it was great BTW...  But a couple of questions that come to
mind now:

First off, we had problems with TR not seeing the radio a times.   Didn't
happen often enough to pin it down but seemed to happen when tuning the sub
rx vfo (not sure about the main rx - mainly we were leaving that alone and
did not observe this happen when we did) and when hitting the space bar to
mark a station in the band map when doing search and pounce.   This "funny"
resulted in TR turning off the transmit antenna which is a BAD thing!
Worked around it by selecting the antenna manually which was no biggie in a
single band contest.    I'd like to see if others are seeing this - I plan
to send this in to TR and TT for their information...

The second question concerns protection for the RX antenna input.   I'm
using a Front End Saver that opens up the RX antenna and grounds the radio
side during transmit as a protection and this is needed on most radios.
QSK would work better without this - anyone know if the Orion has any
protection on the RX side during transmit that would allow me to disconnect
the Front End Saver?

Thanks in advance!

Tom Whiteside
N5TW Georgetown, TX