Orion

[Orion] Are AN and NR mutually exclusive?

To: Steve Baron - KB3MM <SteveBaron@StarLinX.com>,orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Are AN and NR mutually exclusive?
From: John Buck <kh7t@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:01:45 -1000
Not exactly.

The auto notch seeks and suppresses continuous tones. The noise reduction tries to identify the characteristic desired signal and separate it from background noise.

I cannot think of any reason why they should be mutually exclusive unless the dsp processor just cannot handle sufficient calculations to do both.

According to the front panel, they are not. That is, AN on and removing a carrier and then when I turn on NR the AN still says on but it is not functioning. Or if NR is on then turning AN on and off has not effect except on the front panel.

I avoided using the words mutually exclusive because the NR takes priority in the way it seems to be working.

Or 40 meter SSB I love to take out offending carriers while using the background noise reduction capability. No can do with Orion at present.

I doubt that mutually exclusive is an intended feature. There is no such implication in the manual that I can find.

Aloha,
John KH7T

Steve Baron - KB3MM wrote:

Aren't they mutually exclusive ?

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Buck" <kh7t@arrl.net>

In version 1.366 and probably older versions also.

When NR is on, the AN does not function.
I can tune in a carrier, turn on AN and carrier disappears.
Then turn on NR and carrier is back. Can toggle carrier on and off with NR or AN.

I had noticed AN apparently not working on earlier versions. I usually have NR on so this is probably why.
Finally noticed the correlation.

John KH7T