NA-User

[na-user] WIN98 booted to PREVIOUS ver of DOS

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] WIN98 booted to PREVIOUS ver of DOS
From: Setzler James M JR NPRI <SetzlerJM@Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil> (Setzler James M JR NPRI)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:56:43 -0500
Dave,

The hard drive is about 2.5 or so gig with two partitions; one about 2 gig
the other 500Mb.  I had transferred the files & applications I wanted to
save to the D: drive.  I then did a clean format of the C: drive and
installed DOS v6.22.  Then did a new/full install of WIN98 - not an upgrade
disk.

During the start-up boot, just before it would say "loading Windows..." hold
F8 key.  Menu comes up with options 1 - 7.  "Normal start-up", "Safe mode",
"command prompt only", etc., and, most importantly: Option 7: "Boot to
Previous version of DOS".  At the C: prompt, typing "ver" shows "DOS version
6.22", so it seems I've got "real" DOS, not the psuedo-windows-DOS.  The
autoexec.bat and config.sys files (containing the SMARTDRV and RAMDRIVE
commands) are the versions I set-up before loading WIN98.

I had the same set-up on this machine with WIN95, but somehow lost it.  I've
just recently done all of this, but it seems stable.  Operated ARRL 10 meter
all weekend (1300+ QSOs)with no apparent glitches with NA v10.43 booted to
my "Previous version of DOS".

Hope this helps.

73 James / k1sd / Rhode Island / k1sd@arrl.net