RE: [Karlnet] Attention to the Karlnet Big Wigs

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Attention to the Karlnet Big Wigs
From: "Herzog, Gary (ITC)" <gh@hctx.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:30:16 -0600

        I feel your pain in a big way I have been purchasing Karlnet
hardware and software since 2001. I was told back then to find a reliable
and cheep wireless point to point solution for the BIG local government
agency that I work for. After looking at all of the other solutions at the
time the Karlnet was the best fit for us. I have had NO issues with the
hardware or software    at all. We have a bunch of these radios installed
here and we have demoed this to other agencies at to the advantage to
wirelessly linking remote sites with Karlnet.

        Well with that said I went to place about a $10K order with Demarc
Technology Group for radios that will support my on going agencies projects.
I received an email back from Tony Morella telling me that they were not
able to provide me with this TurboCell equipment any more. After researching
this on the web I found that YDI/Terabeam Wireless had purchased Karlnet and
that Terabeam Wireless with out notice decided to discontinue the boards
that were used in most if not all OEM products. Apparently the venders were
told that they would be able to get the dual port boards for some time and
that never materialized. One of the reasons I went with Demarc Technology
Group is the service they provided and how the radio hardware was setup.

        I then contacted a Doug Harman [dharman@terabeam.com] with
YDI/Terabeam Wireless to find out what the deal was with stopping production
of KN series boards. He told me that YDI/Terabeam Wireless thought the KN
boards were inferior and had problems so they were going to a Mini-PCI based
system. Well this system is more expensive and the configurations provided
do not meet my needs like the Demarc Technology Groups solution did. I
informed Doug that I personally thought that YDI/Terabeam Wireless was
running a good thing by discontinue the boards that the OEMs were using.
This ultimately hurts the customer and then YDI/Terabeam Wireless because if
you hurt the customer the customer ultimately will not buy from you.

        Well the latest is that Tony with Demarc Technology Group is trying
to help us out and come up with at config that will work for us. This
solution uses a compact flash with Karlnet image on it to boot from and
needs a different boot loader from YDI/Karlnet. From what I understand the
new YDI/Karlnet simply have not been responsive to this request. I sure hope
that YDI/Terabeam Wireless wakes up and starts helping their customers.

Gary Herzog
gh@hctx.net