Re: [Karlnet] Ping time differences

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] Ping time differences
From: "Norm Young" <lists@applegatebroadband.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:13:29 -0700
The funny thing is that we had a power fail at the NOC this morning for a
few minutes, and while it was offline, along with the backhaul, I noticed
that ping times from the satellite to the AP (it's solar powered) fell back
to what I consider normal (15mS, stable).   When the NOC powered up, and
before the boarder router (a Mikrotik) booted, I noticed that the ping times
stayed low and stable, from satellite-AP and from satellite-backhaul bridge.
As soon as the router came up, ping times went all to heck.

About the only changes between "normal" and now, is the addition of about
four Ubicom bridges as satellites, and the use of bandwidth limiting at the
Mikrotik border router.  So, maybe it's the border router configuration and
not anything to do with TC.  However, I disabled bandwith limiting
temporarily,
no difference.

Norm