[Karlnet] A performance question I've been pondering with an AP-1000

Subject: [Karlnet] A performance question I've been pondering with an AP-1000
From: "Bob Hrbek" <bhrbek@jagwireless.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:38:49 -0600
The short of it:
I have an AP-1000 that is routing running ver 4.10 (I think).  It is a
Sattelite to another AP-1000.  Pings to the backhaul interface are about 5ms
(almost always).  Pings to ANY of its clients are 25 - 45ms ALWAYS.

Why?

Details:
I have 3 sites running with AP-1000's.  SiteA and SiteB use a Trango
backhaul and RG's as clients.  SiteC is a satellite of SiteB.  The network
is 100% routed.

                          TrangoAP
                           /       \
                         /          \
                       /             \
                  SiteA            \
                     |                 \
                     |                  \
                   /                   SiteB
               SiteC

SiteA has two interfaces that bridge to a local router...then across the
trango link to the central site

Ping times to any clinet of SiteA or SiteB are about 5 - 12ms under almost
ANY load.

SiteB has Two interfaces that are on seperate subnets and a /29 to a router
at the bottom of the tower.  (I like to make things difficult)

SiteC is an AP-1000 as a Satellite of SiteA(a TC polling-network).  SiteC
has two interfaces, one for backhaul, the other for local access (also a
polling network).  There are 12 clients at SiteC.  The AP-1000 is setup as a
router.

Ping times to the backhaul interface of SiteC are about 5ms.  Ping times to
ANY clinet of SiteC(all within 1 mile) are 25ms + ALWAYS.  Why?