Re: [CQ-Contest] In band in 2023

To: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] In band in 2023
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 22:29:46 -0500
Trent,

Here are a few things regarding an effective in band operation to substantially
increase QSOs per hour.  This is not limited to multipliers but as many
contacts as can be made.  There are many different ways to do it.  First to
foot-switch is one that eliminates what I would call an interruption.  The
following pertains to actually interrupting the run station.

1.  If you are sharing the same transmit antenna, you need a good receive
antenna that can also be shared.  It will be automatically switched to the run
radio while the 2nd station transmits.  It needs to be located and configured
in a way that allows each station to receive with minimal interference when the
other station transmits. You need to be able to get close to the run frequency
(maybe 1-3 kHz away) and copy a S5 signal while the running station transmits.
I think without having two sets of antennas, separate amplifiers, etc, the
ultimate setup would be bring the transmit antenna out of the run station (RX
Ant Out) and split it to both rigs to be used when neither rig is transmitting
and automatically switch to a separate RX Antenna when either rig transmits.

2. The preferred situation is that someone is transmitting all the time and no
one is interrupted but many times you will have to interrupt the other
station’s transmission in order to maximize the result.
      A.  Try to never interrupt when the run station is executing F2 (callsign
and report)
      B.  Interrupt F1, F3
       C.  On CW focus on the good operators with good signals I prefer to
never call        anyone on the 2nd radio at less than about 36 WPM unless it’s
a new multiplier. If you can get in and out at 40+ WPM, all the better. If you
need to call a new multiplier who has a weak signal, the run station can just
stop for a few seconds every other contact until you get him.  You may want to
receive on the TX antenna in that scenario.

I don’t know about others but N1MM software will show you what function key
message is being sent by the other station.  That’s how it can work with a
remote operator although there is no substitute for sitting side by side and
paying attention to the run stations entry window.  There are also some options
in N1MM networking setup.   One option will stop the run station’s function key
message when the 2nd station transmits. Continually pushing the enter key on
and off will start the next F key message instantaneously when the 2nd radio
stops transmitting.

There may be a better way to do this but I have a box that switches the relay
line from the amplifier to the rig that is transmitting and the amplifier coax
input to the same rig.  If either rig transmits the other one is connected to a
dummy load. This allows all this to happen with two rigs, one amplifier, one
transmit antenna and a receive antenna.

Hope this helps answer some questions or helps someone in some way.

73…Stan, K5GO/ZF9CW