Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX varying Power levels sent by DX

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX varying Power levels sent by DX
From: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:26:09 -0700
This seems to get hashed over every year.  From my memory, it has been said to pick a power and stick with it for the entire contest.  Same for your check in SS.  It should be easy for the judges to see a change in power levels and mark those logs as outliers or inconsistent.  They don't even care if it is accurate.  Pick a number and carry on.

Are people changing checks and power levels on purpose in an attempt to confuse or penalize people or over thinking the rules? What would be the reason to use differing power levels?

K has become the 599 of power, used even by stations that were not authorized to use that much power.  At V3M we used 99  or NN instead of 100 or 1TT.  One of our radios was a KX3 only capable of about 10 watts outs.  We certainly did not send different power reports from each radio.

Mike W0MU