[CQ-Contest] Most cost-effective sending of qsl's

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Most cost-effective sending of qsl's
From: Kevan Nason <knason00@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 09:52:23 -0500
Unfortunately, emailed QSL's are here and their use will continue to grow.
My guess is whatever system you find that delivers paper cards now won't be
here in a couple-three years.

Jim K9YC wrote about electronic card emails that "It's spam." I agree.

I've been uncertain about responding to emailed QSL cards until just a
couple days ago. Was surprised an active contesting ham next door in
Georgia wanted a QSL from South Carolina, but he sent an electronic "card"
to my inbox using a QSL service. Thinking maybe he needed it for an award I
looked up his email and contacted the guy directly saying I didn't do cards
that way and I was sending him a paper card in the mail. His response was
don't bother. He lets the computer send them out because he lives in a rare
county and people *might* want a "card" from him. One person obviously
doesn't speak for all, but apparently it's easy to push a button and walk
away leaving a computer to spam everyone with your entire log. Since I'm
getting more and more of these unwanted emails requesting I sign up for and
use electronic QSL card services I don't want to fiddle with, I have
started trashing electronic cards and block emails from those sites
going forward. I've already put my name on the 'Do Not Send' list of the
company the guy from Georgia used. Even if I did want to use electronic
cards new services are popping up all the time. I know of three besides
LOTW I'd have to use now.  Keeping up with all the different services would
be a real pain. Maybe I'd feel differently if a worldwide standard for them
was accepted, but that isn't likely to happen for years -- if ever.

For the legitimate users that want confirmation of a QSO, there ought to be
a feedback mechanism in the software telling them their electronic request
didn't make it to me. If they really want a card from me they can look me
up and directly request one. A ham from Germany just did that. He sent me a
direct emailed request asking me to use eQSL because he wanted my county. I
sent him a paper card by international mail instead. He was very happy.

Kevan N4XL