Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW CW Contest

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW CW Contest
From: jpescatore--- via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 10:40:25 +0000 (UTC)
I agree with George on the "ask for repeat" point - if more people did that,
then fewer would bust my state as MD when I was operating remotely from VA.
Prefills are not always correct, so if I copy unusual info I do try to get
fills. That will catch the one-off sending or copying error, not the logging
software having the wrong info in it.
But, as far as logging information that is correct, if I get a repeat on an
obviously unusual value, what is correct is what was sent. For all I know, some
6 land call is operating a station in Maine - in many cases, you don't know
what is correct, you only know what was sent.
One obvious example is the IARU contest where a lot of casual ops send CQ
Zones, not IARU zones. They will often repeat the CQ zone when asked for a
fill.
This is a good issue for contest sponsors to be more explicit about - kinda
like log dupes or not used to be a question.
73 John K3TN

K5TR said:
> While in general I would log what folks send me I would never log
things that I know are wrong.  That is not what we are trying to do
here - we are trying to log information that is correct.

Think about it for a minute.

If the contest exchange were signal reports and states would you sill
log a 6 if that is what someone sends you instead of trying to get
their state in the log?