Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2026 Selection Criteria published / Email reflecto

To: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2026 Selection Criteria published / Email reflector open
From: Lee Volante <g0mtn1@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 17:02:06 +0100
Hi Joe,

Good question. For the team setting the rules it's been a question about
"competitiveness" and how we are trying to measure it. From the contest
results data we've looked at, there are often (but not always) more
'serious entries' and more tightly grouped scores at the top of the tables
in the high power categories compared with the low power ones.

That should mean that for a particular operator's abilities and scores,
they would *likely* achieve a *proportionately better* result compared with
their category leader when operating low power compared with high power.
Hence to try to be fair when awarding WRTC qualification points, there is a
reduction in the available points for LP entrants.

There are many great low power and QRP contesters, but we recognise that
most of our contesting heroes, and where most contesting careers develop
towards, is HP contesting - more QSOs, more multipliers, and more
competition to be #1.

It's not a perfect science and that's why WRTC rules do evolve and change.
Those weightings for 2026 are actually closer to parity than they have been
in several previous WRTC. From our data and listening to feedback we feel
this was a correct change.

73,

Lee G0MTN