Re: [CQ-Contest] N1MM+ in WAE

To: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N1MM+ in WAE
From: Peter Sundberg via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 12:15:01 +0000
Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions on how to get things right with the software.

Yes, I've been entering the WAE since the 70's, a contest with QTCs is an absolute joy. But lately, since N1MM+ has not been working for me, I've entered the contest without taking any QTCs, which is not as much fun :-)

It now seems like I have found the problem.

First of all, I use N1MM only as a logger, I never connect the radio or use the software to send CW. I never use the cluster either to spoon feed me with multipliers and new stations. I send CW with a keyer, paddles controlled with my right hand and log on the keyboard simultaneously with my left hand. This gives me full control over both transmit and receive timing in a contest, especially in pileups, when I don't have to rely on the software to send CW for me as I enter characters on the keyboard.

Late last night I started looking into the problem a bit more carefully, inspired by you guys helping me out with ideas, thinking there must be a way to solve this.

I then found out that the issue was that the software for some reason was configured to send CW on port COM6. My computer does not have COM6, but as I never use the program to send CW this has not been a problem in any of the other multiple contests I enter.

But for WAE it seems to matter. As I understand it, from within the RQTC window it sends acknowledgements etc to the DX passing QTCs. What happened was that these messages were waiting to be sent, but they ended up in a queue and a message was displayed in small prints saying something like "Waiting for messages to be sent". in the entry window.

This locked up the RQTC window so I could not open it again after closing it the one time it appeared after startup. I had not seen this message in very fine print before. You can see it again in a small activity log window when you move the cursor to the lower left hand corner in the entry window but it quickly disappears.

So after going to the Configurer to choose the available COM4 in the drop down list in the Hardware tab the software doesn't lock up the RQTC window any more.

I can now continue even in WAE to merrily send CW myself with my right hand and log with my left hand simultaneously. So if I get some free time this weekend I will be around in WAE and also accept receiving QTCs :-)

Cu Mike!

73
Peter SM2CEW