Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 246, Issue 10

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 246, Issue 10
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 19:51:04 -0700
On 6/18/2023 12:28 PM, George Wagner wrote:
Cory, since your router was zapped, everything connected to it via ethernet will be
have been zapped. That explains the cat and USB failures that you’re
experiencing.

These failures are generally the result of failure to do proper bonding of all the interconnected equipment. They are also often caused by the use of shunt-mode surge suppressors (MOVs) on branch circuits.

If you’re going to just throw away the FTDX5000, throw it into the trash,
otherwise have it repaired before you sell it on the used market.

If you want an opinion on replacing the 5000, I strongly recommend the Elecraft K4, or
K4D (with a second receiver). Pricey, but we’ll worth it, in my opinion!

I strongly agree. I've been using nothing but K3s since 2008, when they replaced a pair of MPs. A K4D replaced one of them last fall. It's a VERY nice radio, very well thought out.

73, Jim K9YC