Re: [CQ-Contest] Antenna analyzers

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Antenna analyzers
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 02:25:15 -0800
On 2/6/2023 8:14 PM, Barry Jacobson wrote:
Hi Ray, these are all very deep and difficult topics.

A serious study of the ARRL Handbook and Antenna Book is where it's at, not random stuff on the internet. The fundamentals are there -- most chapters in both books begin with teaching fundamentals, and it takes STUDY, not a quick read. I'm one of several dozen contributors.

For a lot of reasons, the various all-band antennas fed with ladder line is a flawed concept, especially in a world filled with dozens of RF noise sources in our own homes and those of our neighbors. The best solutions, IF we have room for them, is resonant dipoles (and fan dipoles for multiple bands) fed with coax, and with a serious common mode choke at each feedpoint to kill noise. See k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC