[CQ-Contest] CQWWSSB weird noises on 10 M and other bands

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWWSSB weird noises on 10 M and other bands
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 17:38:11 -0500
On Saturday in CQWWSSB I heard some very strange noises on 10.

One was a constant multi-toned carrier that was simultaneously transmitting between about 28.815 mhz and 29.125 mhz. It was extremely loud and peaking generally NE. It completely wiped out that entire freq. range. No tried to cq within it.

The other type of noise was what I'll call a "Squiggler" which was loud and about 3 - 5 khz wide. It sounds "squiggly" - with audio like someone was very rapidly shifting their tuning dial back and forth while transmitting, but doing it within an extremely narrow range of frequencies - maybe 500 - 1000 hz wide. If you took a pencil and rapidly moved it back and forth repeatedly in a narrow space on a piece of paper, you would see "squiggles" - a physical representation of the audio that I was hearing.

The squigglers were loud and annoying and then would drift in and out of the frequency very, very slowly and obliterate any callers for several minutes at a time. This happened all over 10 M but also made brief appearances on 15 and 20. I have never heard this before. It was NOT at all the spurs and carrier type signals to which I am accustomed.

Any idea what these are and where they are coming from?

Tnx & 73

Bob, KQ2M