Re: [CQ-Contest] Suggestion for the ARRL June VHF contest

To: jimk8mr@aol.com, K8MR via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Suggestion for the ARRL June VHF contest
From: Ed Kucharski <k3dne@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 11:52:18 -0400 (EDT)
Jim,

I was not aware of the IARU HF Championship rules (I haven't op'd that before)
but I did submit a proposal similar to the ARRL 10m Contest. See more below -
its similar to what I just posted on the ARRL Contesting reflector - sorry for
the additional bandwidth.

Similar to a few others, I have submitted a proposal to ARRL addressing VHF+
contest rules. I was happy to see the "Analog Only" subcategory but I don't
feel it goes far enough to fully address the issues. Where I live in SC (EM94)
I did not notice any significant increase in analog activity in the recent
September contest - there was a lot of SSB activity in June on 6m probably due
to the excellent sporadic -E conditions (in this area) but I did not notice a
significant increase in 2m analog activity then.

The proposal I submitted is modeled off of the successful and popular ARRL 10m
contest where the operating categories include Phone only, CW only and Mixed
Mode (PH+CW).  I proposed the categories of "Legacy" (Analog = Phone and CW)
Only, Digital Only and Mixed (Analog + Digital) categories in VHF+ contests
(Jan,Jun and Sept). This is unique because it would allow 2 QSO's on the same
band with the same station (an analog QSO and a digital QSO). I am not in favor
of creating an additional category for CW only - Technician Class licensees
(and other newer "no-code" licensees) who have privileges above 30MHz may not
be able to participate in that category due to their lack of CW
knowledge/proficiency/skill and may discourage an entire group of potential
operators who don't do CW. My proposal also includes a restriction on
cross-mode QSO's between analog and digital (NO restrictions, as usual, between
phone and cw cross-mode QSO's). In my original proposal I suggested to keep
scoring as
 it is now, however I'm starting to buy into an analog QSO being weighted more
heavily than a digital QSO to further encourage analog participation. The ARRL
10m Contest does QSO point weighting so there is a precedent set for that
concept. I may amend my original proposal with similar wordage and send it off
again.

The recent suggestions of having 2 or 3 June contests (phone, cw, digital)
seems (to me) as a time intensive proposition - many of us don't have 3
weekends in June (don't forget Field Day is also in June) to operate more VHF+
contests. I just don't see rovers, portable stations, multi-ops and many
single-ops being able to dedicate that kind of time. And, what about September
and January? Do we suggest 3 contest weekends then too or neglect those 2 other
contests? I don't think those months can absorb 3 VHF+ contest weekends or be
neglected from any new VHF+ rules.

73,
Ed K3DNE