Re: [CQ-Contest] 6M CW

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 6M CW
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 10:35:28 -0700
On 10/25/2022 6:55 AM, RT Clay wrote:
Well, the west coast just had lousy conditions in the 2022 June VHF contest.
In the east 6m conditions were exceptionally good.

Hi Tor,

Recently gained understandings about how E-skip conditions relate to turbulence in the upper atmosphere, combined with near real time monitoring and display of propagation and the day to day experience of 6M operators are showing that E-skip statistically is much more prevalent over some paths than others. Parts of the eastern US experiences multiple strong multi-hop openings to EU centered around the summer solstice, but openings from NorCal to the eastern US, especially the NE US, are far less prevalent. Those with experience studying meteorological charts have speculated that what happens in the upper atmosphere is strongly affected by topography of western mountain ranges. And remember, for multi-hop E-skip, multiple reflecting layers have to line up in just the right place for any given path longer than about 1500 miles. From my QTH near San Francisco, that happens a lot more often to the SE than to the NE.

What I'm getting to here is that it appears to be a chronic condition, not just a bad day. My observations are based on the pursuit of the FFMA award for working all grids in the lower 48 on 6M, and it's where I spend my summers. I'm not there for a couple of contest weekends. :)

73, Jim K9YC