Re: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of Contesting ---- The Flow State

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of Contesting ---- The Flow State
From: Gary K9GS <k9gs@gjschwartz.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 18:45:24 -0400
Hey Jim....I'm all for "go with the flow" :)73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: Jim Neiger <n6tj@sbcglobal.net> Date:
10/17/22  6:35 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: cq-contest@contesting.com Subject:
[CQ-Contest] Secrets of Contesting ---- The Flow State Secrets of Contesting
and The Flow State: From time-to-time, we've convinced ourselves that
contesting adds to our youth, and cognitive skills, and we simply could not
excel at contesting if we weren't "young".  And that reasoning has sometimes
worked to convince our significant others that we really really do need to fly
to that far-off Indian Ocean island next week for CQ WW SSB:  "its guaranteed
that high speed talking for 48 hours will lengthen the period before dementia
sets in" (an N6TJ quote).Now, we can attest that there's some truth to these
arguments. Simply stated, when we are immersed in a radio contest, we most
probably can be in a Flow State.  This state of mind often is referred to by
athletes as being "in the zone".A recent article by Richard Huskey, PhD,
Department of Communications (!!!), University of California, Davis, reveals
that he has spent the last 10 years studying the flow state and the changes it
creates in the brain - how you can find it, and benefit from it.  Being in a
flow state requires that you put forth effort and drive the outcome.  Certainly
our contesting efforts would qualify.Quoting Dr. Huskey: "One of the key
attributes of the flow state, from which it derives many of its psychological
benefits, is that while you're engaged in your activity, you're focused
exclusively on it.  The flow state occurs only when you're doing something that
you're highly skilled at... and when you're doing it in a way that challenges
that high skill level.  Despite exerting themselves considerably, people in
flow hardly notice their efforts.  Time speeds up""Psychologists have learned a
lot in recent years about what the brain looks like when in the flow state.
Scientists have found strong evidence that when a person enters the flow state,
activity decreases in the medial prefrontal cortex, an area of the brain
associated with thinking about oneself.  This evidence supports psychologists
description of flow as a state of externally focused attention.""We also have
uncovered evidence that, during flow, the brain reconfigures itself so it
requires less energy -- kind of a "battery-saver mode".  That may explain why
flow activities feel effortless and time flies while you are doing them".Dr.
Huskey reports that many benefits from being in flow have been observed or
self-reported:   "  Higher Skill ---  Spending time in the flow state appears
to make you better at the activity      Mood Boost ---  Being in flow just
feels good.  If you're having a crummy day, getting into flow for a spell can
lift your spirits      Increased Resiliance --- People who regularly experience
flow appear better equipped to bounce back after disappointments      Greater
Productivity --- Frequent flow experiences appear to reduce procrastination,
prevent burnout and increase motivation      Mental Health ---  Flow is
associated with lower risk for anxiety and depression      General Happiness
--- People who often go into flow report greater life satisfaction"Dr. Huskey
adds :  Find the sweet spot.  Once you've decided on the activity that will be
your conduit to the flow state, make a concious decision to push yourself to
the next level so that you're at that sweet spot between skill and challenge.
If it's a game, seek out an opponent who's just a little better than
you"....And he summarizes his writings with words that are surely music to
every contester's ears: "There's no such thing as spending too much time in the
flow state.  Frequently experiencing flow could make you happier, healthier,
more productive and more skilled at your favorite tasks."Vy 73,Jim Neiger