[CQ-Contest] Statement concerning latest CQ decision to limit contest pa

To: 'CQ-Contest Reflector' <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Statement concerning latest CQ decision to limit contest participation
From: Christian Janssen DL1MGB <chris@dl1mgb.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 20:53:24 +0100
Dear Contest Community,

It is hard to find correct words for the current situation we are witnessing in
the Ukraine these days. We often remain in a mood of anger, sorrow, and
anxiety. Many of us live far away from the events. We are worried about the
affected people and grieve with them about their losses. Beyond our donations
to relieve a small part of the distress, our options to help are limited.
Economical embargos, boycotts, and political statements which are focused to
hit governments and people in charge, are certainly necessary but do not always
meet our expectations.

Lately, the CQ Communications, Inc., decided to limit contest participation
from Russia, Belarus and Donbas region in their sponsored CQ World Wide DX and
WPX Contests. Logs from these regions will only count as checklogs and contacts
with them will count zero points for all of us.

The Bavarian Contest Club considers this decision as inappropriate and not
helpful for anybody within the Contest Community.

Among other noble principles, Amateur Radio is of non-political nature. Amateur
Radio is a hobby, a spare time activity. Amateur Radio was always proud of
connecting different countries, cultures and people with different opinions and
views. Amateur Radio was never intended as application of political pressure.

The Bavarian Contest Club feels that is not an appropriate understanding of
competition, to offer plaques as prize when excluding a great number of
contesters at the same time. To exclude a group of contesters only because they
are led by a regime which currently is disputed and accused heavily is not our
understanding of Ham Spirit.

Therefore, the Bavarian Contest Club will temporarily stop the plaque
sponsoring for the upcoming CQ World Wide WPX SSB and CW Contests. This
includes four plaques for the Rookie and Youth category overlays. The Bavarian
Contest Club is also sponsor of four other plaques in CQWW DX Contest and CQWW
RTTY DX Contest. This sponsorship will be evaluated at a later time.

73s Chris DL1MGB
President Bavarian Contest Club