Re: [CQ-Contest] Receiver adjustments in CW contest conditions

To: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Receiver adjustments in CW contest conditions
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 23:53:50 -0700
I generally set the bandwidth to 400 Hz, and pitch to 500. If bad QRM captures
the AGC, I'll reduce the bandwidth to 250. However, if AGC capture isn't the
issue, I find that reducing the bandwidth really doesn't help. Some operators
just turn off the AGC, but I'm convinced that can lead to (further) hearing
damage.

I've also noticed that in the presence of just noise, not strong QRM, reducing
bandwidth doesn't help at all; I can copy just as well with a 2 kHz bandwidth
as 250 Hz. I presume that's because the effective bandwidth of the filter in my
head is much less than that of the radio. For example, I can usually copy
signals that are just barely visible on a spectrum display with an effective
bandwidth of 22 Hz. If that's 0 dB, it's about -12 dB at 400 Hz. And I'm not
even particularly good at it.

73,
Scott K9MA

Scott Ellington