Re: [CQ-Contest] Forum topic

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Forum topic
From: ku8e <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 17:22:29 -0400
I use a Microsoft Windows desktop application I wrote in C# and a Microsoft SQL
Server database to check and process the Georgia QSO Party logs. Both Visual
Studio and SQL Server can be downloaded for free from Microsoft if you're not
using it for business purposes. It seems to work pretty good for me. I'm pretty
familiar with this software since I used it professionally when I was
working.I'm not sure what the limitations of either SQL Server or MySQL
databases which are both available for free. I'm curious on what database
software other log checkers use and their logic for cross checking QSO'S? I'm
always looking to improve my process Jeff KU8E Sent from my Verizon, Samsung
Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Ed W0YK <ed@w0yk.com> Date: 8/16/21
9:44 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: Steve Dyer <w1srd@yahoo.com>,
cq-contest@contesting.com Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Forum topic Current log
checking software takes literally 2-3 minutes to fully process a few thousand
logs with a few million QSOs, including all the results tables.  A moderate
performance office PC is sufficient. Cleaning up log errors takes hundreds of
volunteer hours before the final minutes-long computer run.  And, of course,
gathering photos and information to create the results article is
time-consuming.Log checking software is custom-created and supported by a few
very smart volunteers.  Running time is inconsequential in the overall contest
results process.73,Ed W0YK-------- Original message --------From: Steve Dyer
via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com> Date: 8/16/21  05:19  (GMT-08:00)
To: cq-contest@contesting.com Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Forum topic These days
that's a pretty small data set. It fits in memory easily and if I recall, each
complete run only takes a minute or two. I saw a presentation about it
somewhere from K5ZD.This is not trivializing the programming, it's just not a
scale problem anymore.73,SteveW1SRDOn 8/15/2021 14:54, Richard F DiDonna NN3W
wrote:> Has anyone ever done a Dayton forum or online forum on contest log>
checking?  In briefly chatting with KL9A regarding the number of logs that> get
submitted (over 1,000 in some NAQP events), it dawned on me that it> requires a
little computing power to have a database of 2,500,000 QSOs> (assuming 1,000
logs with an average of 250 QSOs per log for NAQP) or a> database of 25,000,000
QSOs (assuming 5,000 logs and an average of 500 QSOs> per log for CQWW).>> How
long does the log checking actually take and what database programs are> used
 mailing
listCQ-Contest@contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest_______________________________________________CQ-Contest