Re: [CQ-Contest] Do you have A/C in your shack?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Do you have A/C in your shack?
From: Steve Bookout <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 15:40:36 -0400
Hi Mike,

Things in central Virginia can get really nasty during the summer.

Right now it's in the 90's and it mostly has been for the last couple of weeks.  Also, the humidity is way high and is a real killer.

When I built the garage/shack, I built it with the necessities of southern living.  The shack is 20 feet by 40 feet and has 9 stations, each with an amp capable amp, so I have a one ton or 12,000 BTU/h or 3.5 kW heat pump.

Depending upon weather, time of year and length of contest, it can still get a bit warm in here.

About 10 years ago, just before a WPX CW contest in late May, when it was unseasonably HOT (90'S), the heat pump failed.   It was in the high 80's inside the shack with the windows open.   The adjacent part of the building's A/C was helping to cool the shack, but wasn't enough.   After that experience, I purchased and installed 2 x 25,000 BTU window units, just in case I ever needed them in the future.  With everything cooling, I think I could hang meat in here to age.

So, I have tried it, with and without, the A/C.  I prefer the A/C.

73 de Steve, NR4M