Re: [CQ-Contest] Running by the numbers

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Running by the numbers
From: Christian Janssen DL1MGB <chris@dl1mgb.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 19:50:24 +0200
Hi,

unfortunately, there is no MorseRunner or RUFZ for SSB. Not yet... So training
has to happen more or less on the bands. The first thing as for all modes:
Listen, listen and listen. Sit next to a pro while he/she is handling a pileup,
try to copy as many callsigns as possible, write them down, compare with the
pro's log. Maybe you can do some offline training in a small group sitting in
one room and creating your own pileup and learn to manage it. But you have to
get used to the noise and dynamics of a pile-up. You don't want to hear it for
the first time when you call CQ and switch to RX.

But there comes a time when you have to go on the band and you are thrown into
the cold water. And in the beginning, it should not be a rare DXCC / IOTA / ...
Of course, you will be called lid or idiot when it is not going as it should
be. But a newbie has to go through it. The more important is that a pro is
sitting next to the newbie explaining what's going on on the band, that the
newbie is not a lid or idiot. And giving advice what to do if the newbie
doesn't know what to do.

Running low power instead of high power when you are a newbie: Maybe the wrong
way. If you are a semi-rare station and your signal is not loud, you have to
have excellent pile-up skills to keep the pile-up controlled. Having a loud
signal should help to have more control over the pile-up.

Working by numbers: As already wrote before, you need to know how to do it and
do it consequently 100%. Otherwise you are f....d.

So my short advice:
- Listen to a pro
- offline training with a pro
- working first pile-up with a pro (never alone!)
- continous training
- when you are used to it, enjoy the rates

73s Chris DL1MGB