Re: [CQ-Contest] Laptops for mobile....

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Laptops for mobile....
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 11:09:27 -0700
On 5/28/2021 10:23 AM, Michael Dinkelman wrote:
It would be good to find a reliable laptop that can run off vehicle power (even with a dedicated
accessory supply).

Slides 213 and 214 in this link show an inverter that we have successfully used with Thinkpads. The low power unit shown is the only one in this product line to consider -- W6GJB bought a larger one that is far too noisy to use.

http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf

Since then, W6GJB has found an inverter that's pretty quiet. For years, we have used several of my Thinkpads of different vintage in our multi-op CQP and 7QP county expeditions. We run both fixed and mobile in 7QP, fixed in CQP. I've pinged him for info on that unit.

The NUC computers (no screen, no keyboard) with the least processor power run on 12V, and are used in some fixed contesting stations. I don't know their noise profile.

73, Jim K9YC