[CQ-Contest] Archives

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>, "Silver, Ward" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Archives
From: James Cain <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 13:14:45 +0000
Re the NAQP history discussion, in a perfect world ALL issues of the NCJ
would be archived on line for historians to access. There must be complete
sets out there.

When I was doing research for my book 20 years ago I was very fortunate to
be able to borrow complete sets (printed on paper) of several newsletters:
by Don Chesser, Gus Browning, Dick Spenceley, and Hugh Cassidy. To my
knowledge, none of these are on line. I returned all these collections to
their owners. Anybody having them now should think about archiving them.

Chesser, Browning, Spenceley, and Cassidy are all dead. I am speaking up
for them. All of them are members of the CQ DX Hall of Fame. So is my good
friend Chod Harris, who took over The DX Bulletin from me (and died at 50,
in 1999).

In 2010 I scanned all 325 issues of The DX Bulletin, the newsletter I wrote
and sold from 1979 to 1986. If somebody could help I'd be happy to make
them available on line. When my book ("YASME, The Danny Weil and Colvin
Radio Expeditions," 2003) went out of print last year, The Yasme Foundation
was kind enough to put the entire book on their web site. I am so glad to
be able to see that happen before I croak.

cain K1TN

Jim,

There are some results missing from the various sources on the web. The NCJ
CD-ROM has the full results from the beginning until 1999.

The first NAQP’s were held in April 1986. At that time, it appears to have been
only an annual event.

First CW winner was N5RZ @ N5AU, and the first SSB winner was NP4Z.

K5LZO won multiop, both modes.

73, Ken N2ZN