Re: [CQ-Contest] The (physical) Mechanics of 2 KB SO2R

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The (physical) Mechanics of 2 KB SO2R
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 04:14:22 +0000
I don't do two-keyboard SO2R.  I prefer a single keyboard with auto-hotkey
remapping a few keys to improve the ergonomics.

However, I do have a couple of computers in my shack/office.  For reasons
beyond the scope of this thread, on my "side desk", I have two keyboards, one
on a little shelf above the other.

I imagine that if I were to do two-keyboard SO2R, that would be an arrangement
I would seriously consider, so as to avoid the strains of swiveling or
reaching.   However, the challenge is that in this layout, only one keyboard
can be at "proper" height.  (In my case, one is properly-situated for sitting
use, and the other for standing use...but again, that's for reasons not
relevant to this discussion.)

Or...I recently upgraded/standardized my keyboards in the house.  In the
research I did prior to investing, I discovered that there are apparently quite
a few gamers who prefer "60% keyboards", keyboards made small by omitting
"extra" keys.   I can't see how they'd be good for contesting, as they lack
dedicated function keys, but someone concerned about the ergonomics of
two-keyboard SO2R might want to look into them; I imagine you could minimize
the body/arm-shifting.

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org