Re: [CQ-Contest] Are You Kidding Me??

To: Bud Trench <aa3b.bud@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Are You Kidding Me??
From: Jim Neiger <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 21:19:49 -0800
Bud, with all due respect, why would one operate the hours in the contest that don't count?  To plan so would undoubtedly alter one's strategies for the counting hours.  And sure, but with your new rules, to be competitive in the 36 hours version, you need to operate with assistance, i.e., have someone help copy the calls.

For those single operators who want to make a DXpedition, and to be competitive in your 36 hours version, they need a solid internet.  It's often hard enough just putting the competitive "radio" station together on a far off  island, and now we're supposed to worry about internet connections, speeds, reliability, COSTS, etc.  And this add-on effort, of course, has nothing to do with amateur radio, per se, nor does it demonstrate the skills that our contests are supposed to measure.

Who came up with this nauseous term "QSO alerting assistance"? Just what does that mean, anyway?  Since when did we ever need assistance and alerts that QSOs occurred?  At least man up and call it what it is: "call sign copying assistance"

. The contesting champions from years past,  KH6IJ, W4KFC, W9IOP, W6CUF and others are surely rolling over in their graves.

Bud, I appreciate your convictions in standing by these changes, and I'm guessing that you didn't make these decisions on your own.  But wouldn't it have been fair to propose these changes to your WPX entrants and contesters who have lived and demonstrated a serious understanding of the hobby and solicit their thoughts and ideas before making such draconian changes?

I doubt if it will change your opinions and rules, but for me, if they stand as is, I will have operated my last CQ WPX.

Good Luck and 73,

Jim Neiger  N6TJ