[CQ-Contest] Caribbean Trips for Fall Contest Season

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Caribbean Trips for Fall Contest Season
From: James Cain <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 15:41:13 +0000
Jeff,

You could always go north for the Sweepstakes! VY1AAA is kaput. PEI is a
new multiplier this year and unless one of the two Americans who own places
there is hunkered down there, PEI will be off the Clean Sweep table, too.
Pileups! You will be loved.

So, Canada is the new Caribbean! Oh, wait, they won't let Americans in. I
don't blame them.

cain K1TN

This Fall contest season is going to be very different from what we've
experienced
in the past. Many of those Caribbean island multipliers that we take take
for granted will probably not be on the air. In my case I've been traveling
to the Dutch Caribbean to operate DX contests since about 2000. That streak
will be coming to an end for me this year since American citizens can't
travel to Bonaire because of COVID-19. Luckily the PJ4G/PJ4NG station is
setup to be operated remotely using BeLoud.Us. K4BAI has used it remotely a
few times this year and he has plans to do it again in CQWW DX CW.
Unfortunately for me it's not worth the expensive cost to do a M/S remotely
with just one radio. No way you could be competitive in a multi-op category
operating that way with no multiplier station. So John will be on the air
remotely doing a single band and I will be stuck at home operating my small
station.

I was hoping to go to Bonaire at least one time this year to get some points
for WRTC so I could at least get into the top ten in my qualifying region
in case someone would've been interested in picking me as a teammate.
You're allowed two entries outside your qualifying region. I have two
outside my qualifying region so far and I have two left. Wonder if there
might be anyone out there that might need another operator for a
competitive effort for either CQWW DX SSB or CQWW DX CW ?  I would imagine
it would have to be a remote operation? If you do I'm available.

BTW I came across this interesting article online if you do want to still
go to the islands . It might be possible for some of the islands.

https://www.universalweather.com/blog/caribbean-coronavirus-covid-19-impact-on-business-aviation/?fbclid=IwAR2tx0FKILQoVDZ84wJORKQDYBlSmt0QNDlDOZjVwvpSVyFFQblvSJJxwt8

I guess some of the islands are open to Americans but it seems like a big
hassle to do what you need to do to visit.

73, Jeff  KU8E