[CQ-Contest] RBN contest scoring

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RBN contest scoring
From: ktfrog007--- via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 16:26:00 +0000 (UTC)
The post below from KQ2M is interesting to consider.  Aside from additional
technology, we'd need much better RBN coverage of the entire globe.  Just for
fun I took a look Thursday evening July 2 (Friday morning July 3 UTC) at the
RBN active skimmer list.

There were 153 skimmers online, although a number hadn't reported a spot for at
least 15 minutes.  There were two countries in Africa (3V, V5), three in
Oceania (KH6, VK, ZL) and three in South America (CE,CX, PJ2).  EU had many and
NA had two (K, VE) and were both well represented in numbers.  Asia had 4X, 9V,
BA, HL and JA.

3V and PJ2 might as well be considered as EU and NA, respectively.  Most of the
world was dark.

Of course, this was on a dull weekday evening in early July.  I want to take
another look during the upcoming IARU and especially during the CQ WWs in the
fall.

And we haven't even considered phone skimming.  That might be facilitated by
sub-audible digital call info imposed on the audio.

Any worldwide skimming and reporting system to replace logs would have to be
virtually 100% perfect.  Handling missing data would be contentious and delay
posting the results, perhaps even resulting in lawsuits.

So it's sci-fi for now.

In the meantime, the existing RBN and clusters could be used in real-time
online logging to support cross-checking, analysis, cumulative scoring and
flagging violations.  Visible data would be user selectable, as the band
breakdown is now, so as not to reveal strategy.  I should point out, though,
that in most competitive events the participants are present in the same venue
and their performance is in plain sight of opponents and spectators and can be
studied and analyzed.  There's no inherent reason why this shouldn't apply to
ham radio contests, too although some information could be private.   There
would still be limits on how much "spying" anyone can do as in the recent
baseball sign-stealing scandal.

73,
Ken, AB1J