[CQ-Contest] Excessive Bandwidth

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Excessive Bandwidth
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 23:18:13 +0100

For as long as contest sponsors refuse to define "excessive bandwidth", they give themselves plenty of wriggle room (the do-nothing option) when presented with reports of key clicks or splatter.

I confirmed this for myself five years ago - and it seems that nothing has changed in the meantime.

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2015-04/msg00108.html
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2015-04/msg00116.html

We need to call out offenders in real-time - while they're still on the air, and when anyone interested can listen for themselves. It seems to me that a good option might be to spot them with a suitable comment - for example "severe clicks".  This gives a permanent, searchable record of the allegations - to be  compared with whatever associated wideband recordings some sponsors claim to have.   I suggest there is no good reason, these days, for recordings not to have sufficient resolution for this purpose.

73,
Paul EI5DI