Re: [CQ-Contest] [PVRC] Cut numbers and V47T SSB recordings

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [PVRC] Cut numbers and V47T SSB recordings
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 17:24:56 -0700
On 3/23/2020 3:29 PM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
The DX even busts Mike Delta as sent by the best stations.

I generally have good results with "California," clearly articulated, repeated if necessary. For counties or sections in CQP/7QP/SS, it's always carefully selected phonetics, always assuming that the other station doesn't know the proper abbreviations.

For my call in really tough condx, I find that with "Yankee Charlie" the other station won't get one or the other, no matter how many times I repeat. Then my fallbacks are Yokohama and/or Canada." Another VERY important element of phonetics under tough conditions is that a hard consonant can be better than a softer one. That's why "Canada" sometimes works better than "Charlie," for example.

Another important thing I've learned over the years is how to be "weak," either because of running QRP or working EU from NorCal with an antenna that doesn't get over the next ridge very well. :) Many rules, including never repeat anything you know the other station got right, and when things are rough, don't be stingy about repeating your repeats. For example, "California, California, California, California."

73, Jim K9YC