Re: [CQ-Contest] Stop the Sweep madness (already)

To: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Stop the Sweep madness (already)
From: Jack Brindle via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 13:43:15 -0800
Art;

Sweepstakes is the only contest where the sponsor pushes a sweep. Few can win
the contest, but in years past many could attain a sweep. In fact the year the
ARRL sent out sweep brushes I missed it by one section. Boy I wanted that brush…

So, with that in mind, being able to get a sweep is very important for this
contest. If it becomes close to impossible it will have very bad effects on the
contest, and very much change the allure of Sweepstakes. Think of all the
hubbub that occurred just a few years ago when it looked like KP4 would not be
on! Even then the sweeps count was way down. And now, the concern of not having
VY1 in the fray. Adding more sections, no matter where they are, makes it more
difficult.

Thus, the sponsor, ARRL, needs to look very closely at the effects of adding
more multipliers, no matter where they are. If they are in areas where for some
reason contacts simply will not happen, then perhaps it might be time to change
the way multipliers are selected.

And yes, NL is very difficult from northern CA, as is AK and VY1 from South
Florida. I attained sweeps five years in a row. Haven’t in the last four.
Perhaps we might get our clubs together and find some way to buy some sunspots
for better propagation?

73!
Jack, W6FB