Re: [CQ-Contest] Inaudible signals discussions

To: James Cain <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>, CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Inaudible signals discussions
From: Radio KØHB <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 20:23:19 +0000
Served with a fellow in the Navy with ears like that.  RM2 George Munk(SK).
And he was best at it when about 75-percent in-the-bag.

One night at about 0200 on USS Henley, docked at Piraeus, Greece (a notorious
noisy RF black hole) I was trying to pass a long 5-letter coded message to NKA
at Asmara, Ethiopia (now Eritrea).  I simply could NOT hear NKA responding to
me. Nothing but white/pink noise to my ears.  Circuit was in my earphones and
on an overhead loudspeaker in the shack.

George came back from a long evening ashore at John Bull’s tavern, a Sailor
hangout on the waterfront, well on his way to a Fix Beer hangover.  Saw me
struggling with NKA, listened to the speaker for a moment, told me to move
aside.  He sat down and passed the whole message, including several requested
repeats, as smoothly as if we were sitting next door to the NKA transmitter
site.  Simply astounding.

73, de Hans, KØHB
"Just a boy and his radio"™

➢ I have been at a station where we had parallel earphones.
➢
➢ Some operators were logging QSOs when the guy sitting next
➢ was hearing just noise.

➢ I have been logging QSOs when some others that came to

➢ the same frequency heard just noise when I was hearing the far far away three
pointers.

73,
Jukka OH6LI