Re: [CQ-Contest] Origin of 3830 Score Reporting

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Origin of 3830 Score Reporting
From: Dave via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 21:43:54 +0000

What's the origin of sharing claimed scores and "war stories" on 3830 kHz after
a contest? When did it start? Who started it? Thanks.

    Bruce,

Perhaps W3LPL or KR2Q could go back further than my recollection as could others but: When I started doing M/M operations in the late 70's, all the big MM and MS groups would get together on 3830 immediately after the contest ended, and exchange numbers. It was obvious to me then that this was not something new, but the expected end to a fun/competitive weekend.

An excellent example of this was captured in the film "To Win the World" which has been mentioned in this reflector on several occasions. The exchange between N2AA and W2PV and (W3LPL edited out) operators at the end of the flick was a live capture of their 3830 conversation as soon as the tallying by hand of QSO's and Mults of written logs took place and numbers computed on trusty HP pocket calculators, or scrawled on a legal pad with a #2 pencil.

    Looking forward to other replies.

Dave K2XR