Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP RTTY - SO2R Reply Delays

To: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP RTTY - SO2R Reply Delays
From: Jeff Stai <wk6i.jeff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 09:34:43 -0800
I can answer that. If I am in a position to decide, the efficient op gets
the first response. It clearly matters more to them.

It's not like SO2R ops live to make you wait. I hate having to make people
wait. It's poor customer service. - jeff wk6i

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 6:05 AM john@kk9a.com <john@kk9a.com> wrote:

> I have never operated NAQP but in other RTTY contests sometimes it is hard
> to keep the timing between radios perfect. Some people give long exchanges
> and others give more efficient reports. What happens when one quick op and
> one slower op finish transmitting at the same time and it is time to
> respond to both?  Someone winds up waiting.
>
> John KK9A
>

> Richard Thorne N5ZC wrote:
>

> I played around in the NAQP RTTY Saturday.
>

> Several times I would receive a reply to my CQ and send my exchange, the
> other station would have a delayed response.  Enough of a delay that I
> could have probably called cq and started another exchange or wished I at
> least answered another caller.
>

> I can only assume the other station was running SO2R as the op was
> probably busy handling a QSO on another band before replying to my
> exchange.
>

> I gotta say this is frustrating and screws up my rate just to improve
> yours.
>

> I don't operate SO2R because I'm not good at it and don't want to hose up
> another op's rates with my lack of skill.  There's others out there with
> the same problem and may want to consider not running SO2R.
>

> Flame suite on.
>

> Rich - N5ZC

Jeff Stai ~ WK6I ~ wk6i.jeff@gmail.com
Ask me about Green Keys Night - Jan 1, 2019 0000-2359 UTC!
RTTY op at W7RN