Re: [CQ-Contest] FT8 not allowed in Winter Field Day?

To: Radio K0HB <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT8 not allowed in Winter Field Day?
From: "rjairam@gmail.com" <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:23:26 -0500
Why?

Is telemetry not an important capability we can use? This is a very
practical possible application of WSJT modes. Furthermore even by
itself modes like WSPR can help us automatically measure propagation
to measure capabilities of our stations, i.e. determining when the
band opens and closes at our location. You can even do that in FT8
where a wider variety of signals from various places arrive at our
antennas. And even going further, as mentioned, JS8Call takes FT8 all
the way to a full conversational mode.

There are hams now who are saying "FT8 is not real radio because it's
computers talking to one another" or "it requires no skill." To that I
say, nonsense. As hams we have found new ways to communicate over the
years. We should embrace this sort of progress.

73
Ria, N2RJ