Re: [CQ-Contest] Sending 'test'

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sending 'test'
From: Peter Bowyer <peter@bowyer.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 13:45:08 +0000
Chris

If there's no trailing synchronisation token at the end of the CQ (which is
what the 'TEST' is), the calling station is more likely to hesitate before
calling and/or not call until after the next CQ. This, to some extent, the
degree of which is arguable, reduces efficiency and increases the
likelihood of a caller doubling with your next CQ. These are bad things.

However, it also spreads out the start of the CQs from a pileup of callers
a bit, which can well be a good thing. Just like (can of worms opening...)
a bare 'TU' instead of a 'TU <MYCALL>' will. Uncertainty can play in your
favour sometimes.

I don't think there's a single right answer.

73 Peter G4MJS