Re: [CQ-Contest] CM-500 headset

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CM-500 headset
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 13:12:34 -0800
Somehow this topic has split into two -- the headphones and the mic. :) That's a good thing, because both matter. My comments on noise rejection have, so far, addressed only the mic.

As to the headphones, I find them quite comfortable, and fairly good at rejecting other sounds, roughly equivalent to Sony MDR7506. My shack is pretty quiet except when the XYL comes through talking or banging the screen door. The talk QRMs me, the screen door triggers the VOX. It's quite loud. :)

The only operation I do in a multi is for our CQP and 7QP expeditions, and we've found the CM500 "good enough." I would certainly take the advice of guys with big multi operations like W3LPL. That said, after I visited his shack several years ago, I noted to Frank that it's hard surfaces made it an echo chamber that amplifies the noise, especially speech, and that putting sound absorbing panels to the walls would help a lot. This has long been standard practice in broadcast announce booths and production studios intended primarily for speech, and can make a HUGE difference as compared to hard surfaces.

The human voice is directional to the front and slightly above the mouth, so the absorption on wall surface directly in front of the operator is especially useful. Likewise for surfaces around noisy fans.

73, Jim K9YC