Re: [CQ-Contest] An alternate SS CW re-invigoration plan

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] An alternate SS CW re-invigoration plan
From: Bill via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 16:47:22 -0500
Nice thinking outside the box.  However, giving the newbies even 15 x points
won't do a whole lot of good since code is not a requirement for a license.
So, if they don't know the code, it won't make a whole lot of difference.

Out of my 950 QSOs I made in SS  CW exactly 43 checks were 00 through
17...around 4 %
Out of 2132 QSOs I made in SS  Phone exactly 539 checks were 00 through
17...around 25%
Just for CK 17 in the SS phone I had more QSOs than all of the 21st century
checks in SS CW.
CK 16 in SS phone yielded a total of 74 QSOs, the highest total of any year.

The FCC has killed the SS CW...slowly by attrition.  Let's face it.  The
average code speed in SS is at the very least 20-25 WPM, with most going faster
than that.  How many newbies are going to be able to handle that speed.  Most
will be intimidated.  Back in the 60s and 70s guys built up their code speed on
the novice bands (minor leagues) before venturing out on the higher speed
general bands (major leagues).  The minor league system has disappeared and to
expect these guys to play in a big league contest at 10 WPM is unrealistic.

One suggestion though:  Why not set up a speed trap zone.  Maybe designate a
part of the band (maybe 14065-14070) where the speed limit was a max of 15 WPM.
 Automatic DQ for going higher.  Log checking in conjunction with RBN would
enforce the speed limit.

KH7XS/K4XS