Re: [CQ-Contest] Tennessee QSO Party 2017 - Sunday September 3

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Tennessee QSO Party 2017 - Sunday September 3
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 09:33:16 -0700
I disagree. Our club (NCCC) organizes CQP, and we work very hard to make it interesting for out of state participants by making county expeditions to dozens of counties where there are few if any hams, and we light up those counties on all contesting bands that are open. I've been a part of one of those expeditions every year since moving to CA in 2006. I've also been a part of county expeditions for 7QP, lighting up 5 counties one year and 7 counties another.

The life blood of state QSO parties is the activation of a lot of counties for as much of the world as possible given propagation. YOU may have found plenty of stations to work, but you were 1,000 miles closer to TN than hams in CA. With a good station, YOU could work mobiles on 40M during the late afternoon, but we couldn't until much later.

Have you ever seriously worked a state QSO party with 2-4 mobiles lighting up counties as they drive?  It requires BIC with a lot of listening time that is rewarded when those mobiles cross the county line and call CQ with a different county ID. When you're sitting there waiting and they work only a band that isn't open to you, it DOES take all the fun out of it. The operators of those mobiles need to understand that if the QSO party is to be a success. And if no one tells them, some apparently don't know.

73, Jim K9YC