Re: [CQ-Contest] DC in NAQP, WHY?

To: Cq Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DC in NAQP, WHY?
From: K6UFO Mark Aaker <k6ufo@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 19:29:15 +0000 (UTC)
Hello Oli,
I can only speak as one part of the NCJ "team" of Contest Managers, Editors,
and support people, some of who are listed on the "Contact NCJ" page, and
some who work behind the scenes. http://ncjweb.com/contact-ncj/

The addition of DC as a Multiplier was under discussion for at least five
years. We
recognized the issues of fairness, consistency, impact on the contest, impact
on records,
etc. The active operators living in DC made numerous requests with good reasons
why
they are residents of DC and not Maryland, and in a QSO "PARTY" it was proper
for them
to be identifying with their true location, not merged. It was also considered
that for most
contest participants, adding a DC Multiplier will increase activity and the
"fun factor" as we
get through a low part of the solar cycle.

With the declining solar cycle, adding DC is unlikely to affect the records for
several years.
Through a solar cycle, and between the winter and summer contests, sometimes
the West
Coast may have the benefit of adding DC on the high bands, and sometimes the
East Coast
may have the benefit on the low bands. It is likely to be similar to when an
additional
North American DXCC country from the Caribbean  gets active for the contest.

I hope you will participate in the NAQP contests, and let us know your results.
We run the
contests for the benefit of the participants!

Mark Aaker K6UFO
NAQP RTTY Contest Manager
k6ufo at arrl dot net