Re: [CQ-Contest] New Category Suggestion

To: Jukka Klemola <jpklemola@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Category Suggestion
From: "ve4xt@mymts.net" <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 08:17:01 -0500
Folks,

Think about what you're saying, please.

Do we expect Novak Djokovic to build his own racquets and practice facility?

Does Nico Rosberg have to change his own oil, hand-build his own sparkplugs or
pour the rubber for his tires himself?

Did Teemu Selanne forge his own skate blades? Tiger Woods craft his own clubs?

Would ANY of these competitors give one inch to a rival who did?

Also, you're asking for special privileges for the rich, by and large. Should
we plebes kiss the feet of someone with the millions to drop on a bank of
IC-7851s, a field of Rohn 65s, a flock of monobanders, a row of
Hewlett-Packards and the perfect piece of propagational paradise on which to
install it all, just because he or she also happens to operate it?

The local homebuilders association runs a Parade of Homes each spring and fall,
and as part of that, gives out awards for home design and construction. Sounds
good so far, right? Well, I had to go to their awards banquet one year and
found out the association created so many categories, separated by such fine
points of minutiae, that if you could fog a mirror and entered a home, guess
what? You won!

Maybe all we need are a thousand new categories. Everybody wins!

SOABHSROTTY (single op, all band, home station, rig older than 10 years).
SOABHSROTTYSLT$10k (single op, all band, home station, rig older than 10 years,
spent less than $10k),
 SOABHSRRSMT$100k (single op, all band, home station, recent rig, spent more
than $100k)...

Maybe what we should do is leave the field for category a blank line. Make up
your own:

SOABHSHBAccCTHBAntBSWS(single op, all band, home station, home brewed
accessories (but not rig), climbed towers, home brewed antennas, blue socks
with stripes)

Just brace yourself afterward for a whole new slew of whining: but do we really
KNOW his rig is older than 10 years? And if he has an older radio, how do we
know that's actually the one he used? Can he PROVE he climbed his own towers?
Forged his own tower components? Spent less than $10k? Were those socks really
blue, or were they teal?

73, kelly, ve4xt

Sent from my iPad