Re: [CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 21:35:34 -0700
On Wed,7/27/2016 6:23 PM, Rudy Bakalov wrote:
Hey Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to think about the question and even model it.
Really appreciate it.

You have a point that considering the extra time needed to make a second stub
is independent of the length of the stub, a better solution is to just make
another 1/4 stub.

Jim, one thing I find very confusing and contradictory, both from you and
George, is the type of coax.

My first thought was to use LMR400 as George also mentioned it in his book.
Then you wrote that coax with foam dielectric is not a good choice, but yet the
Wireman #117 is really RG8X which in turn is same as LMR240 which of course is
also foam.

So, what coax should I use? I have to buy it anyway so I don't have any
preference.

I suspect that you still haven't taken the time to study k9yc.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf This question is addressed in considerable detail in that Q&A-style tutorial.

I do not believe that a reflector like this should be a substitute for studying the basics, simply because this list goes to hundreds (or maybe more) people who don't want to be bothered with it. :) That Q&A tutorial is "the basics,." and I tried to write it so that it's not difficult to understand, even if you're not very techie. I spent a LONG time writing it. So please look at that for the answer to this question.

73, Jim K9YC
73, Jim K9YC