Re: [CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 09:34:01 +0100
On 19/05/2016 08:03, 9A1UN wrote:

CQWW SSB Top 10 scores all years

<Snip)

9A1UN has given an example of what Mark Twain (possibly) is
said to have described as "Lies, damned lies and statistics".

This phrase refers to "the persuasive power of numbers,
particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak
arguments". - Wikipedia.

I'd like to present some statistics of my own from
http://www.cqww.com/scorescw.htm?yr=2015

In CQWW CW 2015, the winning LP SO80 score (mine) was
238,717, - 1,499 QSOs, 19 Zones and 78 Countries in
30.9 hours.

The corresponding winning Assisted score was Z35T with
246,240, - 1,437 QSOs, 28 Zones and 92 Countries in
27.8 hours.

By connecting to the internet to get another three
mults, I would have finished ahead of Z35T - but I
didn't.

As a Single-Op, I will never connect to the internet
to get more points because the only communications
technology I need, or want, while contesting is ham
radio.  And I want others to know I operated this
way.  That's what separates Assisted and Unassisted
regardless of final scores.

73,
Paul EI5DI