Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting from Space!.

To: brian coyne <g4odv@yahoo.co.uk>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting from Space!.
From: Olof Lundberg <olof@rowanhouse.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 17:36:06 +0100
Brian: Yes, that would be an interesting exercise and also a non-trivial
one. As a starter I believe the Space Station orbit is approximately smack
in the middle of the F2 layer except that the Space Station altitude varies
slowly and the F2 height certainly varies. Then the orbit is inclined some
50 degrees which means that the Space Station in each one of its 90 minute
orbits "turns south" when at 50 deg N and then "turns north" when at 50 deg
south while the earth rotates about 24 degrees underneath.

While we wait and then wait some more for the opportunity to put a
contester in space, wouldn't it be interesting with a multiband skimmer on
board the Space Station? Or at least a multiband QRP HF beacon? That might
help us learn more about propagation and ionosphere behaviour.

Randy & Co would of course have to come up with a new category for CQWW.
There is a tremendous scope for long threads on this reflector on that
subject alone ;-)

73 Olof G0CKV