[CQ-Contest] Fwd: Re: CR3L Should Reconsider Submission Catagory

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: Re: CR3L Should Reconsider Submission Catagory
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 12:33:49 -0700

I consider myself at least as ethical as you or anyone else in this hobby, as many of my previous posts should illustrate. Here's the difference between our two interpretations of this situation:

CR3L /did not lie/. They were fully qualified for both M/2 and M/M. They presumably didn't cheat during their operations and qualified for both categories.

What they DID do was /change their mind/, and that is completely acceptable by the contest rules ... which allow you to change your entry right up until the last moment. I can change my mind at any point up until the deadline to enter SOSB20LP or SOABLP or SOABHP if I operated honestly for SOSB20LP. That is all that CR3L did, albeit with knowledge of the scores and intended category of other stations that freely offered that information.

NOBODY LIED.

Regarding my comment on dishonest postings to 3830, I thought I was perfectly clear that it was ... well, dishonest. I merely pointed out that such chicanery had nothing to do with the official entry. I would have a very dim view of CR3L originally submitting to the contest sponsor as M/S and then changing it to a category they actually qualified for at the last moment, but that would be because they claimed something they weren't qualified for. Unless they could convince me that it was due to an honest mistake I'd probably consider them for a DQ.

But that isn't what happened. CR3L had every right ... morally, ethically, legally ... to enter any category they actually qualified for right up until the deadline. Changing your mind (for whatever reason) based upon publicly available information isn't unethical. If I'm in a foot race that has a common starting point and both a five mile and a ten mile category, and I see all my key competitors stopping at the five mile point, I'm not going to feel guilty about continuing on to the ten mile line even if I originally planned to only run five miles.

Not everything we don't like or feel comfortable with is a moral issue.

Dave   AB7E