Re: [CQ-Contest] N1MM Software - FT-1000 communication

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N1MM Software - FT-1000 communication
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 13:35:25 -0800
On Fri,11/21/2014 10:00 AM, FritzOAQ wrote:
I'm new
to N1MM software but it appears to me that one can only communicate with it
via USB "COM ports". If there's no way to use the FIF-232C box, then I can
forget trying to figure out whether it is defective & buy a new black box
that takes the FT-1000 to a USB "COM port". Any recommendations for this box
wud be appreciated.

I don't know what the FIF-232C box is. Virtually all logging programs I know of, including N1MM, are looking for a serial port. That can be a "real" serial port, or it can be one generated by a USB to RS232 converter.

The control port in the FT1000MP and others in that series is simply an RS232 port, so all you need is a properly wired cable adapter -- DB9 on one end, the round DIN on the other. Only two circuits are used -- TXD and RXD (pins 2 and 3 on the DB9, with 5 as the return). When I ran MPs with WriteLog and later with N1MM, that's exactly what I used. I don't know if the FT1000 you have is different. The manual should show pin assignments for the FT1000.

If your adapter was working but isn't now, I would suspect a problem in one of the connecting cables. The ham market is flooded with junk connectors, especially DIN connectors, and the DINs are real crap. Not only are the contacts almost impossible to solder to (poor choice of metal or plating), but the dielectric melts with even modest amounts of heat. REAL DIN connectors cost $5 - $7. Buy from Allied, Newark, etc. Brands are Tuchel and Switchcraft. Junk DIN connectors cost a buck.

I tried to make some adapters using DINs I had bought from a popular (and respected) ham vendor. Every one I made eventually failed because the solder connection fell apart.

73, Jim K9YC