Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WPX rules, it finally happened

To: "Jim Stahl (K8MR)" <Jimk8mr@aol.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WPX rules, it finally happened
From: Ken Low <kenke3x@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 08:37:02 -0500
"1. I find that skipping IDing works best with smooth, no fill, in rhythm QSOs.
An ID serves a useful function after a QSO requiring a repeat, or after a guy
who calls at half the speed of the pileup, by resyncing the pileup."

Hi Jim -

True, but the issue extends further.   If I send "CQ TEST KE3X" and 5 stations
call, they all already know my call sign.   I have the option of answering "DIT
DIT" or "TU" to work through those 5 stations quickly in sequence.   If I
choose to end QSO #2 or #3 with a longer confirmation 'TU KE3X' to attract
additional stations, that should be at my option.

The perfect pileup size is one station calling at 35wpm in the clear.  Next
best is 2-3 stations slightly off frequency from each other, who will stick
around only if they know I am efficient.   But RBN creates packet pileups with
5+ callers where everyone is zero beat, then the rate drops quickly.   I
deliberately do not ID each QSO in those cases, to work the pile down for the
benefit of everyone calling.   It can easily take 5 QSO's to accomplish that
objective.

Having to make real time decisions when managing pileups qualifies as 'fun' in
my book.   Having to worry about 'did I hit the right F-key to ID every 3rd QSO
or risk disqualification' is not fun.   It's annoying and distracts from
enjoyment of the sport.

It would be a much better rule to require an ID each 'x' minutes (2-3 for
example) instead of each 'x' QSO's.   That's measurable post-contest and would
allow flexibility for running stations to optimize their rate.   A higher rate
benefit all the S&P callers as well as the the runner.

On Phone as you mention, this is less of an issue.  Saying 'Papa Forty Alpha'
takes only a few milliseconds longer than 'Thanks'.   The ID thing is more of a
CW issue.

Also the statement that 'Many Top-10 stations ID every time' is oversimplistic.
  The majority of those stations are in the Top-10 since they are excellent
operators with big, well engineered stations.   In many circumstances if they
chose to not ID each QSO periodically at their option, their scores would
increase.   Just look at the classic article by CT1BOH to understand why.

While ID'ing each QSO may be admirable and set a good example for some others,
it should not be legislated through contest rules.  What comes next - will
everyone get a pre-assigned frequency to CQ on, lest we accidentally drop in
within 200hz of another station?

Let's keep the creativity in the game.

Ken