Re: [CQ-Contest] What rig to choose for a one-time fieldday

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What rig to choose for a one-time fieldday
From: "XV4Y (Yan)" <xv4y@nature-mekong.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 06:57:27 +0700
Hi,

As a TS-590s owner, I second this.
TS-590s ergonomic is great. Default settings are not perfect but easy to
adjust. The manual is well written and logically structured.
The trickiest part to use is the internal Voice Memory (DVK) if you buy the
option. Once you understand it logics it works well, thought, and can be
triggered via CAT commands in N1MM.
Thanks to the USB audio interface integrated, you can also use the Voice Memory
feature of N1MM or another contest logger. It will be cheaper and will work
perhaps better, but need the PC to be turned on anytime what I did not want.

The radio is compact but with all important settings and commands at direct
access or just one button (i.e. push "KEY" then turn the control dial to set
keyer speed).
It was a tremendous improvement from my past radio (a Yaesu FT-100) where just
triggering the CW memory keyer required 4 buttons push!
It's easy to handle with a can be set vertically (for storage) or horizontally.
Weight is just under 10Kg.
I think the designed it with DXpedition / FD in mind.

Regarding the price, it is simply the best value for the money you can get,
particularly for a contest radio.
FT-1200dx as a bit more features (no USB audio but integrated DKV, TCXO, big
screen and not real-time spectrum display) but is behind regarding filtering
specially for CW.
FT-3000dx maybe be better feature-wise and performance-wise but is more
expensive.
IC-7410 has also a bit more features but is more expensive and lacks contest
grade filtering (option filters are expensive).

73,
Yan.
---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y