Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules Changes

To: cq contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, K0HB <K0HB@ARRL.ORG>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules Changes
From: Steve Sacco NN4X <nn4x@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 19:32:12 -0400
Hi Hans -

I stand by my argument.

Busted calls ARE a rules infraction - the rules require that we claim can claim QSO credit only for valid QSO's, which naturally enough, would include a valid callsign and exchange.. The choice to log it or not is up to the operator, and they should not be encouraged to guess.

Keeping the American football analogy going, you won't see points removed for missing a field goal, but that's a poor example. You WILL see a team be assessed yardage for, say, holding, even if it's "unintentional".

HOWEVER, we need to look no further than college football to see that the NCAA revokes wins for rules infractions: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/friv/forfeits.cgi This is considered reasonable and proper, for exactly the same reasons we do in radiosport.

If we shift the sport to auto racing, we find that teams and drivers are assessed penalties after the fact (after the race), even for unintentional mistakes. These penalties are levied to punish wrong-doing, and to emphasize, even for those unintentional mistakes, that the teams and drivers are accountable for their actions.

That is the exact same situation we have in radiosport.

73,
Steve
NN4X